News Archives

NHL Offers New Proposal to NHLPA

December 28th, 2012 at 2:04 PM
By Tim ODonnell

The NHL today made a new offer to the players union. It's being reported that the league has made steps towards the players in this latest offer.

"In light of media reports this morning, I can confirm that we delivered to the Union a new comprehensive proposal for a successor CBA late yesterday afternoon. We are not prepared to discuss the details of our proposal at this time. We are hopeful that once the Union's staff and negotiating committee have had an opportunity to thoroughly review and consider our new proposal, they will share it with the players. We want to be back on the ice as soon as possible," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement.

The biggest sticking point for the players recently has been contract lengths. The league wanted to limit them to five years while the players countered with eight year. In this latest offer, the league is offering maximum six year contract lengths, or seven years if a team is resigning a player.

The player contract lengths was what Daly described as "the hill we'll die on." It seems that they moved past that and are willing to compromise.

The Make Whole provision, at $300 million, stays on the table after it was reported that the league was pulling it after talks in New York broke down on Dec. 6. The league is also offering a $60 million salary cap for the 2013-2014 season, and allowing each club to buyout one contract without it counting against the salary cap.

Earlier this morning, the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch tweeted that owners had told Gary Bettman that another canceled season was "not an acceptable option."

The NHLPA is set to have an internal conference call at 3 p.m. today. We'll have to wait and see where we go from here. 

Tags: Bill Daly, Boston, Boston Bruins, Gary Bettman, Hockey, NHL, NHLPA

No related posts.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Login with: