News Archives

NHL Rejects NHLPA’s Latest Proposal, Next Meeting not Scheduled

November 21st, 2012 at 4:59 PM
By Tim ODonnell

In their latest proposal, the NHLPA moved closer to what the NHL is looking for in the collective bargaining agreement. But it apparently wasn't good enough as the league rejected the proposal.

"We've moved far more than halfway, and our expectation is the NHL's going to be willing to meet us if they want to reach an agreement," NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said.

"It is about as good as we can do," Fehr added.

The players' union proposal was "comprehensive" according to Fehr. But the NHL still wants more.

"We are still very far apart," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.

The last time the two sides met, they were almost $1 billion apart, according to Bettman. The players' union proposal cuts that deficit to $182 million.

"Gary said we were $900 million or $1 billion apart," Fehr said about the gap over a proposed five-year CBA. "At the moment we are exactly $182 million apart."

But even inching towards the NHL demands and closing the money gap considerable, the NHL still said no to the union's proposal and offered no counter-offers or suggestions.

"Nothing on significant economic issues," Fehr said. "No reciprocity."

The two sides have not scheduled their next meeting but it could come as early as Friday, which is when the All-Star game could be canceled. So far the lockout has caused 327 games to be canceled, including the Winter Classic.

Tags: Boston, Boston Bruins, Donald Fehr, Gary Bettman, Hockey, NHL, NHLPA, Winter Classic

No related posts.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Login with: